Managers underestimate the purpose of technical documentation until they discover they have no relevant documentation. Listed below are 6 reasons why you need technical documentation
- Without technical documentation you have no historical record of any project ever completed within the company
- You have no metrics against which to measure current projects
- You have no information which outlines the lessons learned and the lessons failed
- During an upgrade project the team relies on guess-work to get things right . . . it also means the project will take much longer to complete stretching the budget
- What documentation there is lies scattered over several drives and only makes sense to the author
- Your valued tech staff have left the company taking information with them in their heads
Now you know why Technical Documentation is important; if you recognise one or more of the points above . . . what’s your next move?